Dr. Maria Montessori educational approach
Nearly a century ago, Dr. Maria Montessori developed this unique educational approach, based on her research and understanding of children’s natural development. Centred on her belief that children teach themselves, the Montessori philosophy combines her two fundamental beliefs:
“The most important period of life is not the age of university studies, but the first one, the period from birth to the age of six.”
“We must help the child to act for himself, will for himself, think for himself.”
Modern research reveals that nearly 80% of a child’s mental development takes place by age 8, affirming Montessori’s belief in early childhood as a critical period for development. Understanding that young children learn best through hands-on learning experiences, the Montessori classroom therefore includes multi-sensory, self-correcting activities, and an educational climate that supports learning through discovery and independence.
Montessori Program Goals
Put simply, the goal of a Montessori education is to cultivate a child’s natural desire to learn. By creating an environment replete with interesting learning experiences, the teacher assumes the role of “directress” – recognizing each child’s unique level of readiness, demonstrating the correct use of materials, and keenly observing the natural progression of each child’s work.
The Montessori method allows each child the opportunity to:
• Experience learning as an exciting process of discovery
• Build self-discipline and motivation as lifelong skills
• Have the opportunity to explore and follow his/her interests
• Develop at an independent pace
• Learn through hands-on learning experiences using multi-sensory, self-correcting activities
• Obtain a solid educational foundation
• Experience a daily environment of caring, diversity, respect and peace
Maria Montessori understood that enthusiasm for learning is the key to becoming a truly educated person; a Montessori program therefore cultivates that enthusiasm from the very beginning.